Family Stable after Gas Explosion - 5th November 2003
It has been reported that the family who were in the
house that exploded are in a stable condition. Mr. Declan Carrigan and his
daughter Sorcha (5) are said to be critical but stable in two different
hospitals. His two other children Laura (8) and Adam (3) are in a stable
condition, they are resting at Temple Street Children's Hospital.
Gais stated yesterday that subsidance caused by an underground river was
probably the main cause of the explosion.
Gas is distributed to the
Glendoher Estate by cast-iron gas pipes. These pipes are a health hazzard and
since the mid 80s, Bord Gais has being trying to replce all the piping in Dublin
and Cork with newer and more flexible polyethelene material which is much more
safer. Bord Gais told the media yesterday that all the cast iron pipes will be
removed from the Glenoher Estate from the 5th November "as a precautionary
The whole incident happened on Sunday morning, 2nd November
2003. Just before 11 o'clock, Mr. Carrigan and his three children
were seriously injured when a gas explosion occurred at their house at Glendoher
Close, Rathfarnham. The mother escaped injury, as she was upstairs at the time.
The father was in a critical condition and
he was brought to Tallaght Hospital. The three children were treated for
burns and broken bones.
Before the explosion, one neighbour noticed the
smell of gas and rang Bord Gais. While a representative was inspecting a laneway
beside the house, the explosion occurred. The roof was blown off the house and
the door and the windows were scattered across the street. The emergency
services were alerted immediately and it was reported that one neighbour rescued
one of the children from a window.
Shortly after the incident, a large
crowd gathered around the area. There was a great sense of disbelief and shock
among the locals. The smell of gas was still very strong and a number of the
houses were evacuated.
Bord Gais released a statement and stated "Early
indications are that a gas leak occurred as a result of a fractured distribution
mains under a nearby footpath".
Responding to the explosion, Local
Fianna Fail Counsellor, John Lehart, remarked that "this certainly needs to be
taken to a higher central government level to ensure that all safety levels are
put in place."